I have been posting some short-form content about goal setting. I have also been negging the perseveration with the "tip and tricks" of behavior change on the Gram. Thus, I had the urge to create a presentation on my more nuanced thoughts on this matter at a time when the motivation for goal setting is high as well as socially normative and reinforced.
We have covered this topic from a somewhat different angle in the article - If I Lose Weight…Will I Be Happy?
Additionally, Dr. Lisa Lewis and Jeb Stuart Johnston and I discuss it at length in the I Want You To Want To Do The Dishes module of the Nutrition Coaching Course, but these are my most up-to-date thoughts on the matter.
HERE is the downloadable audio.
1. Forman, E.M., et al., The mind your health project: a randomized controlled trial of an innovative behavioral treatment for obesity. Obesity (Silver Spring), 2013. 21(6): p. 1119-26.
2. Forman, E.M., et al., Acceptance-based versus standard behavioral treatment for obesity: Results from the mind your health randomized controlled trial. Obesity (Silver Spring), 2016. 24(10): p. 2050-6.
3. Forman, E.M., et al., Long-Term Follow-up of the Mind Your Health Project: Acceptance-Based versus Standard Behavioral Treatment for Obesity.Obesity (Silver Spring), 2019. 27(4): p. 565-571.
4. Forman, E. and M. Butryn, Effective Weight Loss: An Acceptance Based Approach Treatments That Work 2016, New York, NY Oxford University Press.
5. Lawlor, E.R., et al., Third-wave cognitive behaviour therapies for weight management: A systematic review and network meta-analysis. Obes Rev, 2020. 21(7): p. e13013.
6. Christensen, P., et al., Men and women respond differently to rapid weight loss: Metabolic outcomes of a multi-centre intervention study after a low-energy diet in 2500 overweight, individuals with pre-diabetes (PREVIEW).Diabetes Obes Metab, 2018. 20(12): p. 2840-2851.
7. Raben, A., et al., The PREVIEW intervention study: Results from a 3-year randomized 2 x 2 factorial multinational trial investigating the role of protein, glycaemic index and physical activity for prevention of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Obes Metab, 2021. 23(2): p. 324-337.
8. Kahlert, D., et al., PREVIEW Behavior Modification Intervention Toolbox (PREMIT): A Study Protocol for a Psychological Element of a Multicenter Project. Front Psychol, 2016. 7: p. 1136.
9. Clear, J., Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones. 2018: Avery.
10. Bloom, P., The Sweet Spot: The Pleasures of Suffering and the Search for Meaning. 2021: Ecco.
Can Increasing Fruits and Vegetables Lead To Weight Loss or Weight Stability?
May 25, 2023
How Lean Is Too Lean?
May 11, 2023
Does Chewing More Reduce Energy Intake?
Apr 13, 2023